Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Earth Day 2013 - Conserve Water Pretty Please


Remember On Earth Day And Each And Every Day- Use Water Efficiently

Make it a full load! Run your dishwasher only when it's full. Don't pre-rinse dishes - tests show pre-rinsing doesn't improve dishwasher cleaning, and you'll save as much as 20 gallons of water per load. When you buy a new dishwasher, look for one that saves water. Water-efficient models use only about only about 4 gallons per wash. 

Be sensible! The Earth might seem like it has abundant water, but in fact only one percent of all water on the planet is available for humans. Buy fixtures and products that are water efficient - you can use less water to get the same job done just as well. When you go shopping, look for the WaterSense label to find water efficient products.

Shower power! A full bathtub requires about 70 gallons of water, but taking a five-minute shower saves water by using 10 to 25 gallons. Put a little timer or clock near your shower so you can see how fast you are. Save even more water, and money on your water bill, by installing a water-efficient showerhead, or ask your landlord to install one if you rent. 

Don't be a drip - fix that leak! Leaky faucets can waste thousands of gallons of water each year, like money down the drain. Repair or replace old or damaged fixtures. If you're not sure you have a leak, check the water meter before and after a two-hour period when no water is being used. If the meter does not read exactly the same, you probably have a leak. 

Make it a full load! The average washing machine uses 40.9 gallons of water per load. If you buy a a new washer, shop for a high-efficiency washer that needs less than 28 gallons of water per load. To achieve even greater savings, wash only full loads of laundry or be sure to choose the appropriate load size on the washing machine.

Now, as a note of interest …. We really do all of these things and not only because we believe in all of this stuff … but because we just can’t afford our water bill as it is.  Here, where we are in Florida, bills can go into the hundreds of dollars per month even when practicing all of these things.  This only hurts folks like us who don’t have much to spend and doesn’t affect those with abundant means at all.  There has to be a better way, but then that would be more economically just and that just wouldn’t do for those who are deep in the depth of the darkness of their souls.  I don’t know how we can awaken those in such denial after all when was A Christmas Carol written, what century?  But I do have hope and when there is hope anything can happen.  So, I remember that to dispel the darkness …. we have to be the light to set those in darkness free, including ourselves. 

Love and Light To All ... And I Do Mean All ... We Are All Connected

14 comments:

Introverted Art said...

my hubby and I have to make some serious changes... we get bottled water and it kills me...

ArtSings1946 said...

Our water here is just awful ... so what we do is use one of the pitchers that have a filter and it seems to work very well. I keep some kind of metal water bottle in my car and upstairs by my bed. This really works fine and it does make a difference ... we can change the world one step at a time.

Happiness always,
Jan

Victoria said...

Fantastic and wonderfully informational post! awesome! Yes there is so much we can all do!
Blessings of Earth day..
Victoria

L-A said...

We don't pay for our water usage in Scotland. Thankfully we get so much rain here that we don't water the garden as that does use loads. My dishwasher is my husband, and sadly this house has no bath.

elettrarossa said...

Great post! We do it all the time...hoping to actively contribuite to save water supplies! Have a nice day!

sharonssunlitmemories said...

In Ireland we don't pay for water either (yet - its coming!) and we definitely don't need to water gardens! But when I was a child I lived in a very different world in Africa - I can remember one very bad drought and how we prayed for rain that never came. I still can't waste a drop and find it difficult to watch other people act as though its a limitless resource.

Magic Love Crow said...

Fantastic post! I love all the information ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

Victoria said...

Jan, I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter had a heart attack on Friday. She (and you) are in my thoughts and prayers. I wish I could do more...

Blessings,

Victoria

jane said...

We do all of those things too, in an effort to keep costs down.
It's hard sometimes, but it does make a difference in more ways than one, and that helps make it easier :)

Unknown said...

hundreds of dollars per month that's crazy wow! Loving you blog just found you via earthenmagic, love the way you write. If you would like to visit me back I'm at http://www.astartemoonblog.com/, earthday and full moon blessings to you, Alison xx

earthen-magic said...

...many kindred hugs to thee! ~ blessed be!...(0;

ArtSings1946 said...

Greetings my dear friends ... I will blog about this at some time, but just to let you all know, my daughter is home from the hospital recovering from a heart attack. We are in the midst of trying to find some help with health care as she has no income or health coverage.

Love and Light,
Jan

CraveCute said...

Hi Jan, sending continued healing and light your way. You and your family are in my thoughts. ~ Diane

Victoria said...

Jan, I just dropped in to say I hope all is going well with your daughter and you, and I'm thinking of you....

Blessings,

Victoria